Pecans are finely ground and cooked together with stone-ground grits until creamy and tender, then pureed roasted squash (acorn squash, butternut, pumpkin) is folded in. The bowl is garnished with shaved cheese and toasted pecans.
3/4 cup pecan halves
1 medium butternut squash (about 1½ lbs)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon plus
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup stone-ground grits
4 cups water, plus more as needed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, more for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 300˚F. Scatter pecan pieces on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until toasted and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pecan halves for garnish.
2. By hand or in a food processor, mince the remaining 1/2 cup pecans - you are looking for a texture roughly the same as the stone-ground grits.
3. Increase oven temperature to 400˚F. Peel squash and scoop out the seeds. Dice squash and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a sheet pan lined with foil. Roast until tender and golden brown, about 45-60 minutes. Let cool.
4. Bring water to a simmer in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Whisk in grits and ground pecans and season with 1 tablespoon salt. Reduce heat to low and cook at a gentle simmer until tender, about 30-40 minutes, adding a little extra water as needed as it cooks.
5. Puree the cooled squash in a food processor or blender until smooth (you should end up with a heaping 1 cup puree; if you have a lot more, reserve extra for another use). Fold squash puree into the cooked grits. Stir in parmesan, transfer to a serving bowl, and keep warm.
6. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a small skillet and cook until rich and brown with a strong nutty aroma (watch closely as it can easily burn). As soon as the butter is browned, stir in reserved pecans, then pour browned-butter-pecan mixture over top of the grits.
Garnish with extra parmesan.
The pride of the crop, these golden halves are beautiful on baked goods and delicious...
This gift set is the perfect present for the baker and holiday recipe maker in...
The pride of the crop, these golden pecan halves are beautiful on baked goods and...